Friday, February 03, 2017

Weird Thought #431


So I believe there are different kinds of basic personalities.  For instance ... there are people who love numbers.  They see math as a kind of foreign language that they both understand and enjoy.   There are inventors who see the world in a different way than most of us.   They look at a situation and think, "I can make something better ..." and then they do.  Then there are people who are creative souls.   Those people are cooks ... and artists ... and musicians.   Those people aren't happy unless they're creating.  And, honestly, it doesn't necessarily matter if they're good at it. 

Not everyone is Picasso or Beethoven.  There are people all over the planet painting shitty portraits of their pets ... or people (like me) playing shitty renditions of their favorite songs on the piano.  But creative souls do it because they felt drawn to create.  I'm at the "barely functioning" level of creativity ... but I feel drawn to make personalized Christmas cards every year ... occasionally I feel drawn to pick up a crochet needle and make someone a beautiful baby blanket ... sometimes I feel drawn to cook something that makes people smile.

And so on the drive to work this morning, I was wondering ... maybe all ... or some ... of the tortured souls in the world are that way because they can't do what their soul tells them to do.  Maybe they were born to be musicians ... but their family couldn't afford an instrument or their parents looked down on music as a career choice.  Maybe they were born to be a mathematician or scientist ... but they grew up poor and went to a sub-par public school and weren't exposed to the right opportunities.  

Maybe some of the people who are clinically depressed or addicts or are just unhappy with their lives .. maybe there's a reason.  Maybe they're suffering because the world just feels wrong to them ... they know they're miserable but they don't know why.  Maybe it's because they weren't able to become who they were supposed to become.

I don't know ...

Weird things I think about on the drive to work ...

Oh, I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know
If you know what I mean
Philosophy is a walk on the slippery rocks
Religion is a light in the fog
I'm not aware of too many things
I know what I know
If you know what I mean

Edie Brickell - What I Am

No comments:

Post a Comment