Monday, December 18, 2017

Life's Little Lessons


It's a little over a month since my last post.  Nothing tragic or catastrophic has happened ... although I will admit that I've learned a lesson.

When you are first transplanted, the team drills into your head all the precautions you should take to keep your new organ safe.   You don't put fresh flowers in your home.   You don't eat off of buffets or from open, shared food.   You avoid public places.  You don't hug. 

Anyone who knows me will realize that last one was hard for me ...

But in the beginning, I was cautious.  I wore my mask when out.   I made sure to use a sanitizing wipe on shopping carts.  I kept my distance from anyone with so much as a sniffle.  I was very aware of my surroundings and that I needed to be as careful as possible since I was on immune suppressants.

But it's easy to get complacent ... and I did.   I didn't wear my mask anymore and I started to take my health for granted.  In just under three months, I started thinking my immune system was just fine.  Sure, it was "suppressed" ... but I was woman.  Hear me roar!

And so, I didn't bat an eye when we went to Stoney's work Christmas party.  I didn't bat an eye when I hugged a dozen or more people.  I didn't bat an eye when I made a plate with all the delicious holiday food.  It was a fabulous night and we both had a lot of fun.

Until 48 hours later on Friday afternoon ... when I developed a fever.   Poor Stoney ... happy holiday, huh?   All our Christmas plans and schemes fell apart as I laid in a stupor of NyQuil and Benadryl.  By Sunday morning, my fever was high enough that we couldn't wait any longer.  He drove me to the ER and I tested positive for Influenza A. 

Tests showed my kidney was doing fine ... other than some dehydration.  They gave me Tamiflu and said at best I would have a couple days of high fevers and sickness ... but overall it lasted 5-10 days.  Stoney took such wonderful care of me ... even working from home that Monday when my fever was around 102.  And they were right on the timing ... even after the fever and aches went away, I then immediately switched to vomiting and diarrhea for several days more.

This weekend I was finally well enough to have the girls over for our Christmas celebration.  We had a great day ... and joked about being happily surprised that everyone got together in the same room while still in the month of December!

It was a small bump in the road ... but last week was a sober reminder that it's only been a few months.  It seems like I've had Jackie Kidney forever ... but she's still new.   So I'll be better about my mask and using hand sanitizer ... and I'll probably miss Christmas Eve mass this year.   But it's a small price to pay for a life changing gift.

I wanna jump, but I'm afraid I'll fall
I wanna holler, but the joint's too small
Young man rhythm's got a hold of me, too
I got the rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu 

Johnny Rivers - Rockin' Pneumonia

No comments:

Post a Comment