Monday, February 26, 2018

Take Care Of Yourself, Kevin ...



So about a year ago, I came up with this AMAZING idea. 

Some charitable organizations have been doing these raffles ... pay $5 for a chance to go to dinner with Kristen Bell ... or pay $5 for a chance to have a walk-on roll in Star Wars.  Whatever.  I thought that was an awesome idea.  Instead of auctioning off these events to the highest (read richest) bidder, let everyone have a chance at it by using the raffle system.

So my idea was ... offer a raffle with the chance to watch your favorite movie with your favorite director.  How many people would buy a ticket to watch Star Wars with Lucas?  Or to watch Close Encounters with Spielberg?   Or Goodfellas with Scorsese?   Or Pulp Fiction with Tarantino???  You could raise millions with this idea!

So I told this to Stoney ... all breathless and excited ... because my raffle choice would be Chasing Amy with Kevin Smith.

He looked at me a little puzzled.  I snapped back at him, "What?  Can you imagine getting to sit and watch a movie with Kevin Smith and listen to him talk about different scenes and what happened with the actors and how the movie got made?!"

He calmly looked at me and said, "You do know that already exists, right?   You can do that right now for free.  It's called a commentary track.  I can play it for you ... right now ... any of Kevin's movies ... we own them all."  

Sigh ... he's my better half for a reason.

Well, fine.  What he said is true ... although not as exciting as sitting with him.  But I see Stoney's point.  Also, how many times does Tarantino want to talk about Pulp Fiction no matter how worthy the charity might be, right?

Anyhow, this morning, Stoney woke me up with the horrifying news that Kevin Smith had a massive heart attack last night.   He survived the "widow maker" and is already tweeting again.   But it's depressed the hell out of me. 

I'll say it again ... I want that raffle.  I want to put my money down on a chance to watch a Kevin Smith movie with Kevin Smith.  Hell, I'll even let him choose.  Yeah, I'd prefer Chasing Amy ... but throw a dart ... any of them would be a dream come true.

Take care of yourself, Kevin ... we need more movies, more Comic Book Men, and more Hollywood Babble On from you.  I parked at the back of my work parking lot today ... because I'm Kevin's age and not in any better shape.  I'll take care of me ... if you take care of you.   Let's do this, Kevin ...

Frustrated, Incorporated
Well I know just what you need
I might just have the thing
I know what you'd pay to see

Soul Asylum - Misery

No comments:

Post a Comment