Tuesday, March 15, 2005

What makes fat so funny?


So, I'm watching TV the other night (I notice a lot of my posts start out with the words, "So, I'm watching TV the other night ...") and I see a commercial for the new Dairy Queen "MooLatte".

I'll forgo the obvious rant about how the name "MooLatte" is suspiciously close to an archaic racial term. Although, now that I mention it ... is there not one ethnically diverse employee in Dairy Queen who might have said, "Uh, guys ... a moment of your time ...?" No one in the entire Diary Queen Corporate office that took an African American studies course?

Ahem ... but I digress. The target I was originally shooting for is DQ's new commercial. It shows a plump actress wired up for a "Dairy Queen Carmel MooLatte Resistance Test." The premise being that we'll see how much electro-shock she's willing to take to get her hands on a MooLatte. We watch her fat jiggle as they shock the shit right outta her ... and we're asked to believe that she'd endure just about anything for a taste of that wonderful DQ treat. In fact, as smoke is being to curl from her hair, she's pouring it all over her face.

So it's funny to watch a fat chick go after ice cream, eh? Nice. What makes fat so funny? Why is it acceptable to make light of someone's physical appearance ... when it would never be acceptable to do that while referencing their skin color ... or ethnenticity?

The general belief is it's okay to assume that if someone is fat then they must be lazy ... but you'd never make that statement about someone based on race, would you? If someone is fat, then they must be undisciplined or unmotivated, right? But you'd never dream of saying that based on their sexual preference, would you?

I've got a good sense of humor ... no, really I do ... but that commercial just bums me out.


And after every number they'd pass the hat
McGuinn and McGuire still a-gettin higher in L.A.
You know where that's at
And no one's gettin' fat except Mama Cass

The Mamas and the Papas - Creeque Alley