Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why Take One ...


Note: You may have to bear with
me for a few days, folks.
The last thing I want to see is my blog turning
into some sort of Alanis/Lilith Fair whine fest;
however, I find it hard to be funny when
serious stuff is on my mind. So, maybe if I
get some of this out of my head ...


I was walking through the neighborhood grocery store yesterday when I spotted a woman who looked familiar. As I walked past her, I realized she was one of the cardiac rehab nurses who worked with my father. My heart dropped and I nearly started crying. I couldn't say anything ... after all, she has hundreds of patients. Why would she remember me?

So, I finished getting my groceries for the week and headed towards the checkout. It just so happens she was there, writing her check just as I walked up. She looked at me and said, "You're Grandpa ThirtyWhat's daughter aren't you?" I got all choked up and said yes. She asked how my mom was doing and then told me everyone at the hospital cried when they saw Dad's name in the paper.

I thanked her and stumbled over my words. I told her I would've spoke first but I assumed she'd forgotten about us. She smiled and said, "No, I could never forget your Dad." It touched me to hear that everyone loved my Dad as much as we thought they did. And, her kind words got me to thinking about what I wrote yesterday.

I think I was angry yesterday because life is so unfair. Why would God take my Dad ... a decent, kind human being ... and leave someone like that guy from my past? My Dad wasn't perfect ... but he'd never hurt a soul.

Plus, I find myself focusing on odd things I read in the news. For instance, James Doohan, Scottie from Star Trek, died at 85 last week. When I read that, I nearly cried. Eighty five? That's twenty five years more than my dad. If my dad lived until he was eighty five, I would've been sixty myself. I would've been the same age my Dad was when he died.

I know that probably doesn't make any sense to anyone but me ... but then again, I'm tired and worn down so nothing I think makes much sense. I know sixty seems old to most people ... but right now, sixty seems so very young to me.

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine
If I’d been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I’m sixty-four

The Beatles - When I'm Sixty Four

No comments:

Post a Comment