Friday, November 04, 2005

For The Love of GOD ...



Allow me to share a small token of wisdom with you all on this beautiful, autumn day. You're going to have to trust me on this one. As hard as it is to believe, some computer problems can be fixed over the phone.

No, I do not need to walk over to your desk to tell you what that "incorrect password" error means. It means you forgot your password again, dolt. No, I do not need to look at the printer to know what "out of paper" means. It means you need to walk your lazy ass to the closet and get out a new ream of paper.

For some reason, people have this obsessive compulsive need to show me their problems. Have we lost all communication skills, people? Can you not describe the problem over the phone? I'm not based out of Bangladesh ... I'm in the same building as you. So if you have a legitimate problem that I can't talk you through on the phone, trust me when I tell you that I will walk over there of my own accord.

I can't tell you how many times today my phone rang with someone saying, "Can you come over here?" Ugh! Heads up, people. I am not just sitting here waiting to hear from you. I have projects ... important projects ... important projects that form the basis of my yearly appraisal and determine whether or not I'll get a year-end bonus. When you call and say, "Can you come over here?" you're throwing off my groove.

God, don't get me wrong ... I'm happy to help! But for the love of jumping Jesus on a rubber tipped crutch ... all you have to do is say, "Hey, ThirtyWhat ... Do you have a minute? I've got an error message on my screen that says blah blah blah. Can you tell me how to fix it over the phone?" At that point I'll either say, "Sure ... just hit blah blah blah ... " OR ... I'll say, "Hmmm ... lemme come over there and take a look."

Actually, just having the good manners to say, "Do you have a minute?" would totally change my outlook towards your problem. I'm not trying to be Nick Burns here ... but, damn, would showing a hint of politeness kill anyone?

I'm finished and I'll admit I feel better getting that off my chest. So, to quote Nick ... "You're WELCOME."

You say,
I should do it differently.
I don't,
Necessarily agree.
Stand up!
Sit down!
Be nice!
Did ya hear me ask for your advice?

Kelly Osborne - Shut Up

No comments:

Post a Comment