1. When is the last time you rode the bus? - When I graduated high school, I lived in an apartment about a mile or so from the office where I worked. If it was a beautiful day out, I'd just walk ... but if it was snowy or rainy (or if my stupid, irresponsible ass had just stayed up all night playing Tetris) I'd just take the bus downtown. Problem is, that was such a horrible time in my life, the thought of riding a bus is like a Vietnam flashback. It's been about fifteen years since I've ridden a bus ... and God willing it will be another fifteen before I do it again.
2. Describe the last time you stood up for a cause: - I suppose the last cause I stood up for was neighborhood rights. Our city passed legislation that would allow a medical district to use imminent domain to take houses from people who wouldn't agree to sell. Now, lemme set the record straight ... write a big enough check, and I can be gone this weekend. I moved around a lot growing up ... so relocating isn't a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately, there's a lot of elderly people in the neighborhood who have lived here their whole lives ... moving was a traumatic concept for them. So, I got involved and helped mold the legislation into a more citizen friendly law. Sure, our asses will still be booted out on the street ... but we get a little more leverage on how we get there.
3. Have you visited Alabama? - I drove through Alabama ... does that count? When I was about thirteen, my family drove down to Panama City, Florida to visit my brother and, naturally, we drove through Alabama to get there. Not the most pleasant experience. Beautiful state, don't get me wrong ... just so happens the city we stopped in for lunch was kinda a dump. I'm being gracious here ... it was really a dump.
4. Have you ever attended a rally? - Hey, wow. I was about to say no ... but yes, as a matter of fact, I have. Nothing as courageous, exciting, or important as civil rights or religious freedom or such. It was a rally for that whole neighborhood rights against imminent domain within our city issue. See, told you it wasn't exciting.
5. Have you ever been arrested? - God, no, are you kidding? My father was a Marine, for the love of God. Do you have any idea what I would've come home to? If I'd been arrested, I would've just stayed there. Nothing in prison could be as bad as using your one phone call to call your ex-Marine father. He loved me ... but damn ... I don't even want to think about it.
Everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was dancin' to the jailhouse rock
Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock