Monday, April 10, 2006

I Only Smile in the Dark


1. What's the weather like? What isn't the weather like here in the Midwest? In the last three weeks, we've had tornados, blizzards, and at the moment we're enjoying a nice warm spell. You can check out my last weather-related rant here.

2. When is the last time you felt appreciated? Damn, I must be lucky. I mean, I never been one of those people who walk around complaining that I'm so unloved. I'd say I feel appreciated almost every day.  In fact, just this weekend one of our girls made me feel very appreciated. I guess I'm just blessed. I just hope I'm as good as they are at letting them know how much I appreciate them.

3. What is the last bad news you heard? That my uncle flunked his piss test? No, sorry ... that was the last good news I heard. The last bad news was probably a few weeks ago when my Mom was diagnosed with severe emphysema or, as they call it now, COPD. Sorry ... I guess when I do bad news, I really do bad news.

4. What is your favorite sad song? [sigh] It's hard to share this. Last year, when the hospital released my Dad to hospice, they warned us that he might not survive the 20 minute ambulance ride home. So I drove out in front of the ambulance ... with my Mom following closely behind it. It was early May. The fields were the greenest green you could imagine ... the sky was this radiant blue. All that beauty blurring with all that pain. And as I drove through the country, I couldn't help thinking to myself, "This is the last time he'll get to take this drive ... " The song that was playing on the radio during that drive was "Why" by Annie Lennox.

I may be mad
I may be blind
I may be viciously unkind
But I can still read what you're thinking
And I've heard it said too many times
That you'd be better off besides...
Why can't you see this boat is sinking
(This boat is sinking this boat is sinking)
Let's go down to the water's edge
And we can cast away those doubts
Some things are better left unsaid
But they still turn me inside out
Turning inside out
Turning inside out
Tell me ... why
Tell me... why

5. Tell us about something you're obsessed with: Technology in general ... but my iPod specifically. I've fallen in love with it all over again ... specifically because of a little program called ephPod. I don't feel like I'm tied to one computer anymore. I'm constantly updating playlists ... adding new music and loads of podcasts from Coast to Coast. (my ex-husband) got me a transmitter and iPod holder for the truck ... and now it's like I've got my own mobile radio station. Christian Slater's got nothing on me, baby.

I love technology
But not as much as you, you see
But I STILL love technology
Always and forever.

Kip - Napoleon Dynomite