Saturday, June 17, 2006

A Lucky Break ...


Word to the wise. If you see this icon on your iPod ... you are in trouble. If this icon is accompanied by the click of death, you are boned. We learned this horrible lesson after (my ex-husband)'s six month old video iPod went belly up.

I researched ... and there are some online solutions. This dude solved the problem by dropping his iPod off a three story building. Amazingly enough, he claims this fixed the problem ... but, common, statistically the chances of this working again have to be astronomical.

There's also a common belief in something called impact therapy. Basically, this involves smacking the device against your thigh two or three times in the hope it will jog the drive back into service. I'm not saying it won't work for you, however, it didn't help ours at all. Maybe I wasn't beating on it hard enough? Who knows.

And hey ... if you're feeling really adventurous, there's a step by step guide on how to open your iPod up and reseat the cables. This is an option if your device is out of warranty. If you have any type of warranty left at all, this is not an option. We found ourselves in the latter situation.

When I bought (my ex-husband) his birthday present last November, I sprung for the extra $50 to cover the "extended warranty." Well, thank God for that or his iPod would be a very expensive paperweight right now.

We dropped it off with the Geek Squad ... and within a week I got a call that we were eligible for replacement. What does that mean? You bring in your claim ticket and they pull a new one off the shelf for you. Woo Hoo!

So, what have we learned from this traumatic experience? In certain cases, extended warranties aren't just a scam. Sometimes they are a very good thing.

Well, no more will I
Shop around, now baby
I know I got the best
Thing in town, now baby
Wrap it up, I'll take it
Wrap it up, I'll take it

The Fabulous Thunderbirds - Wrap It Up