Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bucket O' Fun


I find that I learn something new every day ... and yesterday was no different.

We had a few unplanned glitches at the office. I ended up working an hour late ... and so the lasagna I was planning on baking was still frozen solid when I got home at 5:30. This meant that, at best, we wouldn't be eating until 7:30. Normally that would be a "bummer" situation ... but since I skipped lunch, it was tragic.

(my ex-husband) saved the day by suggesting we go pick up some fast food. Fast food is my second greatest weakness ... right behind soda ... so I'm totally on board. He was craving Taco Bell which is great because, while I don't care for Taco Bell, there is a KFC right next door.

I ran to the border ... then drove next door to get the world's best snack, KFC Original Recipe wings. Yum! Along with the wings, I asked for a large Mt. Dew. The squawk box asked if I would like to upsize my drink to "mega" for only 19 cents more. 19 cents? How could I go wrong?

We pulled to the window ... and they handed us a bucket of Mt. Dew. No, I'm not kidding ... a bucket. I have proof:



I couldn't stop myself from exclaiming, "What the hell?" The clerk looked embarrassed and said, "Um ... yeah, I know."

It's my own fault ... what did I think something called "mega" was going to be? I mean, a large is pretty damned big on it's own ... so a mega would have to be ginormous.

On the drive home, I noticed that the side of the bucket said "A Full 1/2 Gallon." That's 64 ounces of Mt. Dew ... roughly two liters of fluid. After we got home, I did a little research online and discovered the bucket equals around 910 calories. Thank god we shared it between three people ... cause that should be about half of my entire daily caloric intake!

So, another lesson learned. Nineteen cents is a pretty hefty price to pay ... for a pretty hefty drink. It's okay to splurge now and then. But damn ... at least know what you're getting into while you're getting into it.

Yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr Natural
Just as healthy as I can be
But at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me

Larry Groce - Junk Food Junkie