Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Legend of Cellda ...


Curse you, Nick. All these years ... I thought I was free of it's grasp. But now ... now I been sucked back into ... "The Legend of Zelda." For those of you who don't remember, The Legend of Zelda is a NES cartridge that was released in 1987. Basically it's just a very simple ... yet very addicting video game.

But let's cut to the chase, shall we ...

You can now play Zelda on your cell phone. Insanely cool? Of course! But that's not the question. The question is this ... is the Zelda cell phone game an exact port of the original NES game? You be the judge ...


This is a screenshot of the original 1987 Legend of Zelda. Now, I'm admitting that I was wrong on one count ... I thought the graphics were much more pixely and closer to the ones in Atari. They're actually better than that ... they're still pretty bad when compared to X-Box, mind you ... but my recollection was clearly off.


This is what that same screenshot would look like if it were ported down to a 2"x2" screen. Now ... let's compare the new graphics ...


According to their website, this is a screenshot of the java-based Zelda offered for cell phones. Pretty sweet, eh?


Finally, from another website, we get a screenshot of several different areas of the game. Nick can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this game is still in beta? Doesn't matter ... it's still super sweet.


Now, you think that'd be the end of my post, right? WRONG ... here's the most amazing news ever. You can actually download a clone of the original 1987 Legend of Zelda rom ... and, let me assure you, it rocks. I'm no fortune teller, but I predict that at exactly 4:24 central standard time, I will be sitting with a cold caffeine-free Dr. Pepper, my laptop, and a wireless connection ... and I will be playing Zelda Classic for the next six to eight hours.

So ... I'm admitting I'm wrong. Link looks nothing like the Mooninite I remembered him to be ... however, I still think they've tweaked the graphics on the new java version.

But in the end ... can't we just come together in our love of the TriForce?


Link, he come to town
Come to save the Princess Zelda
Ganon took her away
Now the children don't play
But they will when Link saves the day
Hallelujah!

System of a Down - Legend of Zelda