Monday, September 25, 2006

I Like To Move It Move It ...


Well, I took a big leap today. Alright ... I technically didn't take the leap yet. However, I dipped my toe in the water and so far it feels just fine.

I went to Curves today for a consultation. There were three super friendly women working out ... and, as small as it was, I took a tour of the gym. I'm starting a two week trial membership just as soon as my nephrologist faxes over a release ... there's something about the words "polycystic kidney disease" that seems to make people a bit overly-cautious. But that's alright, the release should be in sometime tomorrow and I'll be starting my trial by Wednesday.

The general idea is that it's a gym for women only. No free weights ... no juice bars ... just a circuit that you work for thirty minutes three times a week. It's not flashy ... but it's got a great "community" feeling to it. No one is judgmental. You work out in whatever feels good ... and it doesn't matter how you look because everyone's there for the same reason.

I'm hoping I'll get the call tomorrow that we're good to go. I need to go buy some new shoes because my $3 Walmart canvas numbers are just not going to cut it. There's no fashion police ... but, common, how much support are you going to get for $3?

I do have concerns ... but not what you'd expect. The company was founded by a man and his wife who are conservative Christians. A portion of the corporate profits goes towards pro-life campaigns ... and I have an enormous problem with that.

Don't get me wrong, they can do whatever they want with their money. I just don't like the idea of inadvertently supporting a movement that I don't believe in. And, although there's Fit Club and the Racquet Club in Springfield, Curves is the only game in town if you're looking for a women's only environment.

So, does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe. But hopefully in a few months I'll be a smaller, healthier hypocrite.

Pump up the jam
Pump it up
While your feet are stompin´
And the jam is pumpin´
Look at here the crowd is jumpin´
Pump it up a little more
Get the party going on the dance floor
Seek us that´s where the party´s at
And you´ll find out if you´re too bad

Technotronics - Pump Up The Jam

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 PM

    YEAH! Nice move. Working out is wonderful. Provided you stay with it. I am still working on that part of if, lol. Although, I have stuck with riding my bike, and I am proud to say...I have gone from about 230lbs to 195lbs. Not to shabby. Good luck ThirtyWhat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nick! Tomorrow is my first actual workout. My last appointment was for weighing/measuring ... maybe I was supposed to actually go through the circuit that night, but when they found out I needed a medical release that cut it short? I'm not sure ...

    Tomorrow afternoon the trainer will take me through the circuit and teach me how to use the equipment. I'm nervous ... but excited. :)

    I finally got the release from my nephrologist this afternoon. I'm starting off with a two week trial. After two weeks, he wants to see if I have any kidney pain, cysts breaking, etc. Everything should be fine though ... it's not like I'm running the Boston marathon.

    Thirty-five pounds is a lot! You've done great, Nick! Mr. ThirtyWhat wants to start riding bikes ... but my question is, what do you do to stay in shape in the Winter? Just store the bikes away until Spring? Bundle up and go anyway? Sounds like it's really working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And I also bought my new super-springy gym shoes ... and a pair of these workout pants. I don't know what to call them ... they're like loose sweat pants without the elastic at the bottom.

    Plus there's these cute little zippers right by your ankles? I guess sweat pants aren't in style anymore ... tells you how long it's been since I've been in a gym, eh? LOL

    ReplyDelete