Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Random Thoughts On A Wednesday ...


Remember when you were little and time seemed to stretch out forever? Remember how that three-month summer vacation lasted years ... and Christmas took an eternity to arrive?

It's almost as though life picks up speed ... little by little ... until you're in your 30's. Suddenly weeks disappear ... months fly by. It seems like baseball season was just starting last month ... and now I find myself flipping past football on Sunday nights. How the hell did that happen?

It's not just holidays or big events ... little everyday things seem to happen overnight. When they scheduled my hysterectomy, it was six weeks away. I'd planned to do a little each week ... preparing the house, organizing closets, filling the pantry. Suddenly, it's a week away ... and, I've gotten almost nothing accomplished ...

Meanwhile, my brother's supposed to be driving up on Thursday ... but after reading The Eleventh Hour this morning, I think he's pretty much boned.

One last thing, I think it's interesting that even though I hate going to mass ... I feel this desperate need to go to confession before next Wednesday. I only go to mass every so often with Mom ... but, when I do, it feels like a weight on my shoulders. I just dread it.

And yet, I really want the Last Rites performed before I go under ... which, like emphysema, isn't even called that anymore. It's now Anointing of the Sick for all you non-practicing Catholics out there.

I've got this overwhelming guilt about the whole thing. I don't want to sit for 45 minutes every week going through the motions of a ritual I get nothing out of ... but when I'm sick, I want to cover my bases with God. I guess that makes me a hypocrite ...


You got a nice white dress
And a party on your confirmation
You got a brand new soul
And a cross of gold
But Virginia they didn't give you
Quite enough information
You didn't count on me
You were counting on your rosary

Billy Joel - Only The Good Die Young