Tuesday, January 02, 2007

"Anti-Resolutions" Version 3.0


Oh yes, it's that time again. Time for another rant against the god-forsaken tradition of making New Year's resolutions.

While running an errand today, I listened to WMAY and, naturally, the subject was resolutions. Were you making one? Have you broken any already? "Which club did you join?" But I noticed they steered clear of the elephant in the room ... "How many of you have actually accomplished one of your resolutions?"

Now I'm sure there are people out there who will disagree. There are people who actually have quit smoking. There are people who actually have lost weight. There are people who really have kept their kitchen floor clean ... er ... sorry. The kitchen floor issue ... that's one of my flaws.

Once again, I've banished New Year's resolutions from my internal Wikipedia ... and I'm turning inward to find my own, personal "Anti-Resolutions."

Anti-Resolutions are the little things that make life worth living. Take a moment to stop and look around ... there are amazing things happening daily that we don't even notice anymore because everyday life weighs us down.

So enough talk already, right? Here are my 2007 "Anti-Resolutions" ...

Little Things That Make My Life Worth Living
In No Particular Order

1. An amazing dinner out
2. Opening the mail to see a red NetFlix envelope
3. Listening to our grandfather clock chime
4. Sitting up by myself ... it's a hysterectomy thing
5. Red or blue freezie-pops
6. Sitting on my couch and surfing online
7. Watching Futurama after taking a hot shower
8. Getting an e-mail from the girls up at college
9. Wrapping up in our huge fluffy comforter
10. Going into work ... man, I miss that

So ... as Julie Andrews would say ... these are a few of my favorite things. Sure, there's plenty more ... but that's just a sample. And now it's your turn. Try making your own list ... and, hey, if you can only think of a couple things, that's alright too. I'm not saying it's going to take the weight of the world off anybody's shoulders ... but in a world where the daily news offers little besides pain and panic, taking a look at the bright side of things once in awhile sure can't hurt.

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you
And ... always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the right side of life

Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life