Saturday, April 21, 2007

Don't Let Your Life Pass You By -


1. How did you hear about the shootings at Virginia Tech? - I had no idea anything was going on until a co-worker came over and said, "You listen to the news while you're working, right?" Well, I listen to Coast to Coast ... I'm not entirely sure anyone would classify that as news. But, when she told me what was happening, I logged into CNN's Pipeline and listened as the details came out.

2. Do you know anyone who was directly effected? - The co-worker I mentioned above had family members involved in the tradgey. Her sister and brother-in-law were both faculty members of Virginia Tech. Her brother-in-law was off campus and safe at the time. However, her sister was in the building next to Norris Hall. For a few hours she was out of contact and, honestly, things were very tense ... but I'm happy to report everything worked out fine in this one case.

3. Will you be observing a moment of silence at noon to honor those killed on Monday? - Yes, I'm sure I will ... in fact, I'd bet my whole office will participate. Today, everyone in my office dressed in VT colors for Hokie Hope Day. I made a banner that said we loved Virginia Tech ... and we took a really neat group picture. We e-mailed it to my co-worker's sister ... to show the faculty our support.

4. How do you feel about NBC's decision to air portions of the shooter's manifesto? - It really bothered me. I can't help thinking this is what he wanted ... national coverage of his rage ... everyone hearing his opinions. I just think there was more than enough pain without actually seeing video of this madman.

5. When you are hurting, do you have people to turn to? - I'm so lucky that I have a fantastic support network. I can talk to my husband about anything ... my Mom's there for me ... the girls are very easy to talk to ... and I have lots of friends at work. And really, who could ask for anything more?

Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

Elton John - That's What Friends Are For

No comments:

Post a Comment