Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rest In Peace - Jerry Falwell


Remember the days when television evangelists were weeping on national TV, confessing their sins to the world, and extorting money from their flock? In a world full of Jimmy Swaggarts, Oral Roberts, and Jim Bakers, I suppose Jerry Falwell was one of the better ones.

Not that he wasn't without fault. He supported apartheid in South Africa during the 1980s. He was investigated by the SEC for securities fraud. In 1983 he famously sued Hustler for $45 million ... and lost. He accused my favorite Teletubby, Tinky Winky, of being gay.

He was most criticized for after September 11th for going on national television and saying, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

I didn't agree with his politics or religious views ... but I believe he was following what he believed was right. I suppose, in the big scheme of things, we can give him credit for that ...

Cause Jesus he knows me
And he knows I'm right
I've been talking to Jesus all my life
Oh, yes he knows me
And he knows I'm right
And he's been telling me
Everything is alright

Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me

No comments:

Post a Comment