Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Return of ThirtyWhat?



Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain

Contrary to what you would assume, gravity has not ceased to exist in the two foot area around my body. I have not floated off the Earth and into the stratosphere.

I have been wracking my brain off and on in the last ten weeks trying to decide what to write here ... and I just couldn't think of a single interesting thing to post. I've got nothing but fluff and sawdust up there. Oh, don't get me wrong ... I'm not under the false assumption that anything I've ever posted was that interesting. It just felt as though I'd sailed into the doldrums ... and there wasn't a breeze in sight.

Nothing has changed ... other than a busier-than-normal social calendar. The next four weeks will be a whirlwind of activity. As soon as I've planned one appointment, another one crops up. Honestly ... if this keeps up, how do people expect me to further my lackadaisical lifestyle?

Good things to share:

In 25 days, I will be the maid of honor (matron of honor?) in a fabulous, lavish wedding. My dress will be finished this Saturday and if I can just tie up a few loose ends (such as finding the perfect pair of shoes), we can put a bow on this and call it good.

Season 3 of Mad Men has started and, as usual, I absolutely love it ... although I'm not sure where they're taking Peggy and I've got a really, really bad feeling about Betty's father, Gene. Any Mad Men fans out there with thoughts on it?

I've lost ten pounds ... and as much as I mourn the loss of my comfort food, I do not mourn those ten pounds. Now let's see if we can get some of their com padres to join 'em.

Not so good things to share:

The PKD train keeps a rollin' and, while my function is still stable at around 50%, the newest snag is that I'm terribly Vitamin D deficient and my phosphorus levels are too low. That's pretty odd ... since most PKD patients have too much phosphorus.

In any case, they've scheduled a bone density scan ... and I've been given three months to boost these numbers naturally. If I can't, the nephrologist says I'll be given high dose supplements. Unfortunately raising it "naturally" means I have to take a multivitamin each morning the size of my fist ... and I've been ordered to drink milk ... which I find repulsive.

Other than having a long, healthy life, you know what's motivating me to drink that nasty white stuff? I suspect these "high dose supplements" with which they have threatened me will be just as big, if not bigger, than the HORSE PILL of a multivitamin that I'm choking down each morning.

Sometimes you have to pick your battles ...


You take a horse to water
But you can't make him drink
You can have it all laid out in front of you
But it still don't make you think

George Harrison - Horse to Water