Friday, December 14, 2012

The Journey of a Thousand Miles ...


Have you had that experience ... you meet someone new and you almost feel ... intoxicated?  That heady feeling when you read a text and you feel that drop in your stomach ... when your thoughts are scrambled ...

When I was younger, I wouldn't have questioned that experience ... I would've accepted it for what it was, pursued the relationship, and let the universe take its course.  There wasn't always a happy ending ... I won't deny that being emotionally intoxicated can skew your perception.

I keep saying I won't let this last year change who I am ... but I know every experience does.  Sometimes I catch myself ... I feel myself mentally pulling back.  Letting someone in means giving that person the opportunity to let you down.  And if you don't have expectations ... then you can't be disappointed.

So what to do? That heady feeling is hard to resist ... but trust is a hard commodity to come by these days.  So for now ... I just read my texts ... and smile ...

If "Happy Ever After" did exist
I would still be holding you like this
All those fairy tales are full of shit
One more fucking love song, I'll be sick
 
Maroon 5 - Payphone