Saturday, January 12, 2013

Home Isn't Necessarily Where the Heart Is ...

 
Last night, I went to a birthday party in my "home town."   Referring to the place I lived when I graduated high school as my home town is a bit of a stretch ... I was a Marine Corps brat and, at last count, I've moved seventeen separate times.  But since my family tree has been on that plot of land for generations, if I'm going to point to anywhere on a map ... I suppose that wide space in the road would be the place.
 
At first, I was a little disappointed that this friend of mine wouldn't be going to the party ... but as soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I was relieved as hell that he didn't.  Holy crap ... I have no idea why there isn't a TLC series based out there yet ... but I expect filming to begin any day.

The bar we're talking about is next door to my grandma and grandpa's old farm house ... and growing up I was strictly forbidden to step foot over the property line and onto their gravel lot.  Every blue moon, my grandpa would go next door and bring home a pizza ... and let's not kid ourselves, he knocked back a few while waiting for said pizza ... but sitting there last night, I completely understood why they threatened my life if I wandered over.  It's a dive.
 
It's a small town ... and that place was packed.   I think everyone who lives in the township was in attendance.   Quite a few talked about walking ... or stumbling ... over.  I haven't spent any time in that town in years ... so my best friend sat next to me pointing out people.  "See that guy over there?  That's Steve from high school ..." and "See that woman dancing over there?  That's Danny's ex-wife ..."

Ugh ... writing this makes me feel conflicted.  I think I'm supposed to feel protective of my home town and it's residents.  I think I'm supposed to stick up for them and tell you how nice it was to be back home.   But the reality of it all is that I was ready to go five minutes after I arrived.  I didn't really fit in when I lived there ... seeing three generations of stoners, drunks, and hoobs partying together did nothing to fuel my sentimentality.
 
It's okay ... I'm not complaining.  Growing up, I spent a lot of time up on the hill with my best friend and it was nice of her to include me.  I promised I would go ... and I went.  For the last year, I've made myself be sociable and go places I'd rather avoid ... like this bar.  And I do like having a social life ... but left to my own devices, I'd happily sit here writing my blog ... watching Netflix ... visiting RedBox ... and, on a good night, maybe even cuddling up watching Archer.   What can I say?  I'm a woman of simple tastes ...
 
But bottom line ... if it's another decade before I head "home" ... it'll be a decade too soon ...
 
Take me to your heart
Feel me in your bones
Just one more night
And I'm comin' off this
Long and winding road

I'm on my way, I'm on my way
Home sweet home
Tonight tonight
I'm on my way, I'm on my way
Home sweet home

Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home