Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Told You About That, Right?

Ever have that moment when you're hanging out with someone and you say, "Well, it's like that time that such-and-such happened.  Wait ... I told you about that, right?"  

... and they get that look that says ... "Whaaaaa?"  

Cause you didn't?

Ugh ... worst feeling ever.

I think I'm just going to write a book and call it, "I Told You About That, Right?" and I'll fill it with stories of all the crazy, stupid, horrible stuff I've either done ... or said ... or had done to me ... and then this situation won't happen again.

"Hey, cool!  You have NIN on your iPod ...
I saw Trent Reznor at 3 a.m. at a bar in
New York City ... I told you about that, right?"
"Yup ... page 105."

"Snow makes me sad ... it reminds me
of that time I huddled in this abandoned garage
without a coat in the middle of a snowstorm
so my boyfriend couldn't find me and beat the shit
out of me again ... I told you about that, right?"
"Yup ... page 283."

"Oh man, I love the sound of trains ...
it reminds me of that time I killed a hobo ...
I told you about that, right?"
"Yup ... page ... wait ... huh?"

Kidding!   I've never killed a hobo ... pinky swear.  And the book thing is a horrible idea ... because hanging out with someone and talking with them and getting to know them is half the fun.  Well, assuming they don't decide they'd rather not hang out with you once they figure out you apparently do not have the ability to learn important life lessons ... like not to send the wrong signals over and over and over ...

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
Unheeded warnings
I thought I thought of everything
No navigator to find my way home
Unladen, empty, and turned to stone
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition: grounded - determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted
Just an earth-bound misfit, I 

Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly