Monday, February 25, 2013

A Little Retail Therapy ...

 
 
I have an odd love/hate relationship with money. I always have.  I like having it ... I really like spending it ... but I dislike the crassness of worrying about it or thinking about it.   It's like it should just be there ... and quite honestly, most of the time ... it is.
 
But ... now that I'm in control of my own finances ... I find that occasionally ... I get a little ... flaky.  
 
Before you jump to conclusions, let me explain.  I'm the most responsible person you'll meet ... I pay my mortgage and all my utilities early ... I pay for a home phone and a cell phone ... which, I'll admit, is a little ridiculous considering only four people even have the number.
 
In any case, the point is ... that I'm extremely responsible when it comes to money.  But occasionally, I'll be a little down ... and I'll think ... I need to shop.   These moments used to happen more often ... about once a month last year.   These days it's only once in a great while that I'll have this urge to just spend money.
 
Today I was dealing with work stuff and I was getting a bit stressed ... and I thought ... "You know ... I should just run out to Target for this one thing ..." and before it was over, I'd gone to two Walgreens, Target, Kmart and Walmart ... and quite frankly, I feel like getting back in my car and keeping that train a' rollin.
 
It's not necessarily irresponsible because I have the money and I've budgeted everything out.   It is rather unhealthy ... because retail therapy should not be a real thing.   And I realize that ...

And I'm not buying things I won't use ... although they are probably things I could do without.  Did I need to buy another sweater when it's already late February?  Probably not.  But the feeling of freedom ... the feeling of I want that and I can BUY it ... will hopefully burn off eventually ...
 
I said, train kept a-rollin' all night long
Train kept a-rollin' all night long
Train kept a-rollin' all night long
Train kept a-rollin' all night long
With a "heave!", and a "ho!"
But I just couldn't tell her so
 
Aerosmith - Train Kept a Rollin