Sunday, February 24, 2013

First World Problems ...

 
 It all started with a very odd Facebook message from a girl who graduated high school with me.  I was a bit baffled ... after all, I hadn't heard from this girl in years.  Hell, we weren't even close back then.  But as I sat down to write a reply, I heard Mom's car pull up in the driveway.  I had to leave to go to a birthday party ... but I thought ... hey, no big deal!  I'll finish responding to this chick in the car on the way to the party.  Easy peasy, right?
 
Wrong.   My phone wouldn't connect to Facebook and I couldn't figure out why ... until I checked my data balance.   I'd forgotten to renew my data package and I was zero'ed out.  Worse yet, the family member who was hosting the birthday party is very anti-Internet ... no wifi ... hell, she doesn't even own a computer.   So there I was ... dead in the water.   No Facebook ... no Words with Friends ... no checking in ... no posting pictures of the birthday girl ... nothing. 
 
I assume most "normal" people wouldn't find this to be an issue ... but not super geek over here.  I like being connected.  I've secretly texted a friend from mass once to ask if I was going to hell for being bored.  I mean ... I love being connected.
 
And so ... there was an actual moment of panic.  How was I going to get this situation fixed?  I was stuck in a vicious circle ... as soon as I could get to Internet, I would load data to my plan ... it's a 60 second fix ... but if I can't get on the Internet, I can't pay to be on the Internet. 

I was sure if I could be left alone with my phone for just a moment, I could figure out how to fix my problem ... but then matters became worse ...

I was sitting at a card table with my Mom, my favorite aunt, and two of my cousins ... and I was too busy dwelling on my connection conundrum to notice that my family had started a conversation without me.   I heard a name ... and by the time I glanced up and said, "Wait, what?" ... they already had two more people standing at the table discussing my love life.  Ugh!   So now I have to deal with no connection and this?!  One problem at a time, people!
 
Once I got home, I found a number in my contacts that would allow me to automatically load data to my account.   Couldn't figure that out at one o'clock though ... had to figure that out around seven.   So ... one problem down ...
 
Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.
 
Stealer's Wheel - Stuck In The Middle