Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Another One Bites The Dust ...

Day two of the training school is done and dusted.  Well, technically it isn't done and dusted ... the class is still going on.  But since I had a delivery to pick up at the postal annex before it closed ... and since I've gone early and stayed late for two days in a row ... I took off fifteen minutes early and told the staff to call my cell if the train jumps the tracks.   All's quiet on the Northern front ... so far ... so good ...

I have smiled more in the last 48 hours than I have in the last six months combined.  I'd say about 40% of them were genuine ... and I'm being generous.  I only lost my temper once ...

We have a supervisor who will not take no for an answer.  This morning about seven thirty I was setting up all the AV equipment ... hopping on and off stage... running back to the sound board ... juggling a laptop, two projectors, and the wireless mic system ... and trying to get it all up and running before 8 a.m. 
She came sweeping into the room and said, "ThirtyWhat! I'm glad you're here ... I have something for you!"  I smiled my most charming smile, laughed graciously and said, "No, actually you don't ... not this morning."  But the train just kept on coming.   "Oh yes, but I do ..."  Without looking up from my malfunctioning microphone, I said, "No, Jane ... not right now ... I need to take care of this ... and then I'll get right back to you."  
But she didn't stop ... "Well, you don't have to do it right now ... but I have something I need you to look at."   And then ... I'm embarrassed to admit ... I let happy ThirtyWhat slip just a little ... and bitchy ThirtyWhat reared her head.   "Jane ... I have to get this working ... give me fifteen minutes ..."
The whole room got quite and everyone looked up ... because guess what started working at that moment?  Yup ... wireless mic #2 went live ... just about the time I told Jane to step off.   You could feel the temperature drop.  She walked away and snapped, "Well, I guess I'll just shut my mouth then ..."
Ugh ... it was just one of those days.   On top of it all, after two days of running hither and yon, my feet were killing me ... so about ten o'clock so I slipped off my heels and wore ballet flats the rest of the day.  If anyone noticed, they didn't say anything ... although, to be honest ... maybe they were afraid to?

Only two more days.  The school ends Friday at noon ... and I'm thinking that would be a perfect opportunity to use some annual leave.  Maybe take a nice little nap before family dinner?  Keep your fingers crossed ...
Hold me closer tiny dancer
Count the headlights on the highway
Lay me down in sheets of linen
You had a busy day today
Elton John - Tiny Dancer