Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Tiniest of Goals ...

 
A tiny goal.  More than tiny ... minuscule, actually.   I woke up this morning and weighed myself. I've lost five pounds.

Now we could discuss whether or not the lack of Cherry Coke is having a positive influence ... but I'd really rather not think about the long-term implications of that possibility. I have a specific fantasy that involves having an ice-cold Cherry Coke on Easter Morning ...

But looking at it all this morning, the hard thing to admit is that I have the worst habits of anyone in the world. I've always been an emotional eater. If I'm sad ... I want to order a pizza. If I'm angry ... I want take-out.   If I'm happy ... oh hell, yeah ... let's go to Olive Garden!

So as illogical as it sounds, I've lost five pounds ... so my initial impulse? Let's go celebrate!  Hell ... how do you celebrate without food? Go to see a movie? Well hell ... there's popcorn and soda there. I guess I could go buy a book or some clothes or something ...

In an hour, Mom's going to pick me up to go to my cousin's daughter's birthday party ... and guess what will be there?  Cake ... and soda ... and food, glorious food.   And after mass we're going to dinner ... there's no way to escape it!

But ... slow and steady wins the race, yes?   So, I'll be good ... and I'll figure out a way to celebrate that doesn't involve a bacon-cheddar stuffed fillet at Longhorn.  Because I've accomplished a tiny goal ... and I really want a damned bacon-cheddar stuffed fillet ...

I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead
I just need some place where I can lay my head
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, "no" was all he said
 
The Band - The Weight