Monday, February 04, 2013

You Just Smile and Think Happy Thoughts ...



My Dad could talk to anybody.  I mean anybody.  He made friends everywhere he went.  A few years ago, I went on a road trip down to Tunica, Mississippi with my Mom and Dad ... and no lie ... Dad came back from the men's room talking about some guy he ran into from Divernon.  What the hell are you doing talk to strangers in the men's room?

Anyway ... point is ... in the genetic lottery of life, I got his ability to talk to anyone.   It just doesn't freak me out.   I'm this strange combination ... at home I'm the most comfortable book-reading, computer-loving, movie-watching introvert you'd ever meet ... but in public, Bill Clinton ain't got nothing on me.  Smile, ask questions ... charm their socks off.   It's easy ... whatever it takes to get that person to interact.

When I was in high school, I was never at home.  There were speech contests or art shows or piano competitions or plays or musicals ... if it wasn't sports related, I was probably involved.   Looking back, I feel kind of bad.   I just assumed everyone was like me.  I didn't get that some people are shy ... I just took for granted that everyone was just as out there as I was.

Oh well ... for whatever it's worth, being comfortable talking to people comes in handy at work these days.   For the last year, I've been training field staff ... but always as part of a team.  My co-trainer is transferring to HQ ... so tomorrow morning I'll be teaching a small workshop all by myself for the first time.  I'm nervous ... but not for the reasons you'd think.  I'm worried about waking up on time ... I'm worried about getting to sleep tonight ... I'm worried about picking out something nice to wear in the morning.  Getting up in front of everyone and talking?  Pah ... that's not hard ...

You wanna know what's hard?  Getting up in front of a bunch of drunks in a town you don't even live in, being handed a mic, and being told to hum a song that you've never even heard before ... that's hard.   That category sucked ... someone else is so gonna be humming next time ...

But the school?  Easy peasy rice and cheesy ...

Well we got no choice
All the girls and boys
Making all that noise
'Cause they found new toys
Well we can't salute ya
Can't find a flag
If that don't suit ya
That's a drag

Alice Cooper - School's Out