Tuesday, March 05, 2013

I'm Buying a Lottery Ticket On The Way Home ...



So, back in the day, I was a big NIN fan.  I've owned at least five different copies of Pretty Hate Machine in at least three different formats ... and as soon as they invent the next media, you can bet money I'll own another copy.  Several years ago, my boss ... a very stoic, serious man ... asked me for a music recommendation.  He said he wanted something new and different to listen to ... and what did I suggest?  NIN!  Pretty Hate Machine!  I told him to go to iTunes and put it on his iPad as soon as humanly possible.   He came in a few days later and said there was something wrong with me.   In retrospect, I probably should've pointed him in the direction of Norah Jones ...

Fast forward ... last summer, there was a viral hit called "Call Me Maybe" ... which made a lot of people want to dig out a portion of their brain with a spoon.   I loved it.  I still do.  It is ridiculously catchy and still makes me happy just listening to it.   How did the rocker girl who loved "Down In It" and "Head Like a Hole" become the girl who used "Call me Maybe" as her ringtone?  It's a mystery ... wrapped in an enigma ... wrapped in a taco.  Mmmmm ... tacos ...

And so today ... the story comes full circle.  Carley Ray Jepsen and Nine Inch Nails have become one.  This is one of those moments when the planets align and all is right with the world.  I give you the mashup ...  "Call Me A Hole" ... somewhere Trent Reznor is drinking a bottle of Jack and contemplating suicide ...



I threw a wish in the well
Don't ask me, I'll never tell

I looked to you as it fell

And now you're in my way
Carley Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

God money I'll do anything for you
God money just tell me what you want me to
God money nail me up against the wall
God money don't want everything he wants it all
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole