Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Day In Wonderland ...

 
So today started a little less auspiciously than I would've hoped.  I didn't sleep much ... the nightmares were back ... and I woke up with a splitting headache. Then, when my friends picked me up around 8:30, I discovered one of our crew had already gone red shirt on us.  He was sick and staying home.  So, as the song says ... there we were, just us three ...

The drive down wasn't bad ... although, I found out over the course of the day that not eating breakfast before we left was an incredibly stupid move on my part. We arrived at the venue ... and it felt like home ...


Doctor Who was everywhere ... posters, t-shirts, socks ... there isn't a piece of merchandise that this franchise hasn't produced ... other than the casket.  And, let's be honest, why bother? KISS has a solid lock on the funeral market.

And if merchandise wasn't enough, there were dozens of people dressed as the Doctor ... men, women, children ... including  the smallest Who in Whoville ...

 
But it wasn't a Doctor Who convention ... it was Comic Con.  Which means there were booths and merchandise and costumes there from every corner of geekdom.  Let's see ... there was Link and Zelda.  My ex-sister-in-law would've loved this one ...

 
There was my favorite Disney Princess ... the ginger Scottish princess, Merida ...
 

Then ... there's this Thor who ... um ... was a little disturbing.  I'm not gonna lie, this one's probably gonna keep me up at night and not for the reason Thor would normally keep a girl up.  Look at those eyes ... that's a bag of crazy right there, my friends ...

 
And, of course ... there were ... the ladies.  Here's a picture of Black Widow, who was much, much hotter in real life than she is in this photo.  It was poor lighting ... trust me, she was beautiful ... and she looked like she hadn't eaten in the last year in preparation for that costume. She was so hot, in fact, that my friend's husband asked me to sit ... wait for her to finish eating ... and then ask for her photo. Supposedly this was so I could forward it ... but between you and me, I'm fairly sure he's the one who wanted the picture.  Whatevs ...
 
 
 There were several people who put a lot of work into their costumes ... and stayed in character ...
 

And I learned that Comic Con is a lot like life in general ... there were some genuinely nice people ...
 
 ... and there were some douchebags.  By the way, nice plastic cape there, B-Man ...


But all in all it was a great day ... and I'm really looking forward to going again.  Only next time, I'm eating before leaving town ... big mistake.  If I'd had breakfast, I might not have been compelled to buy an $8 corndog and $4 bottle of Pepsi.  You live, you learn!
 
I'm all right
Nobody worry 'bout me
Why you got to gimme a fight
Can't you just let it be

Kenny Loggins - I'm Alright

No comments:

Post a Comment