Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Who Doesn't Love Cake?


Yesterday, was a happy day!   I spent the evening with family ... IdiotsAnonmous and MiniMoose will celebrate their birthday tomorrow ... and since they'll be out of town on the big day ... we planned our little get together early.   Their sister, CollegeOne, and her husband met us at Obed and Issac's ... then we all headed back home for cake and presents.   Yeah, it was a laid back evening ... I didn't plan anything too exciting.  But we usually end up laughing until we cry when we're all together ... and like MiniMoose said ... good food, good people, who could ask for more?

I can't lie ... having everyone home made me nostalgic.  We've celebrated a lot of birthdays and holidays in this house ... Christmases when I went a little overboard and it looked like elves carpet bombed the house with twinkle lights ... Thanksgivings when the turkey was so damned big it would barely fit in the oven ... birthdays when the girls lit so many candles on my cake that the smoke alarm went off.  Thanks for that, by the way ... smart asses.   Still ... lots and lots of good memories.

When they were younger, the girls could always pick where they wanted to go for their birthday dinner ... and between the three of them I think we've tried just about everywhere.  Ned Kelly's was popular back when it was open ... Chili's ... Olive Garden ... you name it.   Come to think of it, I guess the twins did get a little cheated ... they always wanted to go to Damon's and play trivia ... but because their birthday is mid-March, it was impossible to get a table.  March Madness ... the killer of children's birthday dreams.

But now they're older and have more refined tastes ... and so they chose Obed and Issac's.   Nice ... if a little hipster for my taste.   I'd happily go again ... IdiotsAnonymous liked their beer ... my pony shoe was tasty.  We had a great time visiting ... oh, and CollegeOne taught me how to "ignore" incoming calls on my new iPhone.  Yup ... I have never felt more old.  Thanks, guys ...

So Happy Early Birthday to MiniMoose and IdiotsAnonymous ... you're just as much fun today as you were when I met you all those years ago ... love you both!

This old man and me, were at the bar and we...
Were having us some beers and swappin' I-don't-cares
Talking politics, blonde and redhead chicks
Old dogs and new tricks, and habits we ain't kicked
We talked about God's grace, and all the hell we raised
Then I heard the ol' man say
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
Billy Currington - People Are Crazy