Monday, April 22, 2013

The Unexpected Hapiness of Normality ...



This will be a short post ... because I got home late tonight and come hell or high water I need to be at work early tomorrow.   But tonight I had the most wonderful experience that no one but me will understand ... ... normality.

An acquaintance of mine had a birthday this weekend ... and all of her co-workers were meeting for a birthday dinner tonight.   I invited my guy to come out with us ... with literally no expectation of him going.   I wanted him to know he was welcome ... but I fully expected him to say no.  Not only did he go, but he picked me up.  Seriously ... I couldn't have been happier if I were playing in a ball pit full of puppies.

Okay ... this is stupid right?  I am pleased as punch at the things most people take for granted.  We were all sitting there tonight ... just casually hanging out and visiting.  And at one point, the guys were talking about some football thing going on this weekend ... and my best friend looked at me quizzically and said, "What?"  I didn't understand and asked, "What what?"  She said, "You're smiling?" and I said, "It's just so ... normal."

She doesn't get it ... and that's alright.  I'm happy that she doesn't.  For me, listening to the boys talk about football and who was doing what ... it is so ... zen.   There's so much more to say ... but there's no sense in it.   Comparing what was ... to what is now ... is a waste of time.   There's a reason  your eyes are in the front of your head ... you're supposed to be looking forward.

In any case, it was a happy night.  I'm thankful for a hundred little things  ... and nobody knows it but me.

In my life there's been heartache and pain
I don't know if I can face it again
Can't stop now, I've traveled so far
To change this lonely life

Foreigner - I Wanna Know What Love Is

No comments:

Post a Comment