Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My First Love ...


Fine fine fine!   First I was going to write a blog post about my love of storms ... and how I have reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder because dark skies and thunder actually cheer me up.   Then I was going to write a blog post about how freaking hard I've worked for the last two days.  But no ... now I have to clear up something about baby ThirtyWhat ...

When I was around two years old, my mother went shopping with me one day ... and she told me if I was very good, I could pick out a doll.  We eventually made our way to the toy aisle and ... because I'd been so very good ... I got to pick something out.  Well, there was no picking ... it was love at first sight.  I held up the box containing a small black baby doll and announced she was mine.  Mom shook her head and said, "No, sweetie ... not that one ... let's look at the other dolls."

I don't know what transpired next, but it was apparently a fit of biblical proportions.  I had decided in that instant that a) this doll's name was Judy and b) by God Judy was going home with me

I'd like to tell you it was my mother's forward-thinking beliefs in equality for all races that won that day ... but it was actually being mortified at her daughter screaming that she wanted little black Judy that sealed the deal.  I probably could've had the Leatherface Home Plastic Surgery Kit in my hand and she would've let me have it at that point ... just to shut me the hell up.

And so ... Judy came home with me and became my best friend.  I took her everywhere.  Now, I could let you believe that our lives were like a fourth, hereto unknown, chapter of Toy Story ... and to a point it was.  But let's be honest ... I was an adventurous child.  I cut every single piece of her hair off ... then I worked on mine.  Mine grew back, of course ... hers didn't.  She ended up a pitiful looking thing ... all that wear and tear from dragging a doll over miles of stairs and backyards and cement driveways.   Well ... and you know ... the no hair thing ...

I loved Judy ... loved her with all my toddler heart.  What can I say?  I'm odd ... but I'm loyal ...

"Clang, clang, clang" went the trolley
"Ding, ding, ding" went the bell
"Zing, zing, zing" went my heartstrings
For the moment I saw him I fell

 Judy Garland - The Trolly Song

No comments:

Post a Comment