Thursday, April 11, 2013

When Will You Learn, ThirtyWhat ...


Today I need to talk about something personal.  I need to vent ... just a little ...

So if you're looking for something more general, may I suggest you read this post ... then this post ... and finally this post. 

Okay, now that we've sent most people off on a blogging scavenger hunt  ... I felt like an ass today.

Yesterday, I got the news that my favorite aunt is transferring to the floor where my ...
Let's pause this story.  We've gotta find a better word.   Boyfriend sounds like we're in high school.  Man friend sounds skeevy.   Pookie was just a joke.   I love Doctor Who ... but companion sounds too ... old.   So what to use?  Boo?  I do love it when he calls me that ... but I don't know.   Seriously, I have to come up with something.  But in the meantime ... I guess we'll make do with this ...
So yesterday, I got news that my favorite aunt was transferring to the floor where my guy works.  I thought I had a little time before the blowback started ... but I was wrong.  This morning I'd barely read my e-mails when she sent me a text ... "Hey! I asked him if he was going to family dinner and he said you hadn't invited him. Why haven't you invited him?!?!"

My response?  "There's a perfectly good explanation.  I thought ... just a sec ... my phone is ringing ..."

That phone call was from my mom.  "Your aunt says you haven't invited your guy to dinner.  Why haven't you?  You know he's welcome.  Everyone would love to meet him.  This isn't a big deal.  Why are you making this into a big deal?"

Sigh ... wait a minute.  It isn't a big deal!  For the love of the precious eight pound baby Jesus ... I have a perfectly good explanation!

When they told me which night family dinner would be on, I looked at the calendar and thought ... I bet that's the Friday he plays poker.  I had every intention of asking him the next time we saw each other ... I just hadn't seen him ... and like I said ... I was fairly sure he already had plans.

Yeah yeah yeah ... there's some side stuff ... like I don't want him to feel pressured to meet my family and I don't want to ruin a good thing by having him meet them and hearing all sorts of stories about God knows what because they're bound to bring up some stupid shit I did as a child and mark my words someone is going to say something so politically incorrect before the night is over that he will end up running for the hills.  But mostly ... it was the poker thing.

So I fixed it ... he's invited.  He probably does have plans ... but the important thing is he knows he's welcome.  Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that I had to run to Mom's after work and take her some chili ... because I was in the dog house for being "difficult" ... sigh.  Procrastination has, once again, bitten me in the ass ... 

Wait a minute
Boy, why you tripping like that?
You think 'cause you tricking
You get it just like that?

Wait a minute

The Pussycat Dolls - Wait A Minute

No comments:

Post a Comment