Thursday, April 04, 2013

Time To Slip Into a Short Coma ...


Isn't it odd how some days are just better than others? I'm not talking about the obviously good days ... the days when you sleep in because you've taken vacation time ... or the days when you've got a hot date to look forward to.  No, I'm talking about the good days that just come out of nowhere. The days where you feel almost ... charmed.

Today was one of the those days.

Despite not sleeping well, I woke up early and headed off to the office with a spring in my step.  There was a big project to work on ... and ... yes ... I was looking forward to showing off a little.  I went in and banged it all out before noon ... and it felt amazing.  I even had time to pack and ship three boxes of supplies before leaving early ...

Today was my yearly eye appointment with Dr. Hill  ... so I got to order new glasses ... and picked up new contacts.   But wait ... the day wasn't remotely over.  Next on the itinerary was a trip to Mom's where I copied files from her old laptop to her new one ... set up her printer (again) ... and generally configured the new computer and got it ready to go.

All of that ... led to meeting my friends tonight for dinner and trivia.  I can't lie ... I wasn't really looking forward to it.  It's a bit of a drive ... and it was so nice out that it seemed a shame to waste it sitting in an American Legion Hall all night. 

But ... I was wrong.  It was a lot of fun ... and we took home 2nd place ... with only five of us at our table.   I'd like to brag about how amazing we are ... how we were so brilliant.  But the truth is that 75% of the room was so inebriated that I'm fairly sure they weren't even sure there was a trivia game going on.

Still though ... second isn't bad.  And enthusiastically singing "You Oughta Know" along with several dozen drunken soccer moms was pretty entertaining.   As Ice Cube would say ... it was a good day.   Sure it was busy ... and long ... and involved a lot of work.  But days like today ... make the shitty days worth it ...
 
And I'm here to remind you
Of the mess you left when you went away
It's not fair to deny me
Of the cross I bear that you gave to me
You, you, you oughta know

Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know

No comments:

Post a Comment