Sunday, April 28, 2013

Why Do My Shoulders Hurt?!


I used to drink ... a lot.  Everyone knows that ... people in my real life ... people online ... various doctors ... people living in caves.  Other than the somewhat frequent trips to the ER, I had lots of fun in my early 20's ... and I've been reflecting on it today.

Last night, my sweetie had a cookout and it was a blast.  Lots of friends came over.   We played games and sang karaoke.  He fired up the grill.  (Ha!  Get it?  Fired up the grill?  Heh heh ... I kill me.)  Anyhow ... what he cooked was delicious ... and everyone else brought tasty side dishes and desserts ... it was a great night!

So why is it ... that although not a single drop of alcohol passed my lips ... I woke up this morning feeling like I was coming off a week-long bender.  I was stiff.  My body ached.  Parts hurt that shouldn't even hurt.  My shoulders ... why do my shoulders hurt?!  This is ridiculous.  I stayed in bed until I was finally so hungry that had to either go downstairs and make something ... or start rifling through my purse looking for mints.

Years ago when I was a wild child, I used to go to the club with my friends ... close it ... and get up and go to work the next day.  How did I do that?!  Seriously!   Is this what getting older does to us?   I went to a cookout yesterday and drank nothing stronger than cream soda ... and yet I'm so sleepy I can't hardly keep my eyes open.  I even took a nap this afternoon ... what the hell?  Do I have malaria?!   I felt like laying down in the pew during mass ... and now I'm faced with the somber truth that there will be no Mad Men for me tonight.  I am just too tired!

My God ... the young me would've laughed  at this!  The young me would've told me to get off my ass and make a blender full of margaritas!  The young me would've been on the phone making plans for next week!  But these days, the old me thinks the young me was a fucking idiot and should shut the hell up.  The old me is going to sleep ... perchance to dream ... dreams of a soft, soft bed ... and winning at make out bingo ...

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday I'm in love

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love

No comments:

Post a Comment