Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday Five: Warming

I took today off work ... and it feels so much like Saturday I can't hardly stand it!  In fact I started out writing this thinking I was posting the Friday 5 on Saturday.  Seriously, my internal clock is all jacked up. 

I scheduled today off weeks ago.  I wanted to start the fun early ... wanted a four day weekend.  Plus tonight is the night ... the night I get to see Drive by Truckers with my man!  I don't know what is better ... spending the evening with my guy ... getting to take a road trip ... seeing a concert ... seeing the Drive by Truckers for the first time ... it's all so awesome!

I've decided not to log into my work e-mail today.  I was going to remote into the system and read my relocation letter ... but I've changed my mind.  I know it's there ... and I know what it says.  But I'm afraid it will really bring me down ... and I don't want that.  Not today.  Today is Friday ... and you know what the song says.  Today is a fun day. Today is an exciting, happy day. The letter will still be there tomorrow.
 
The Friday 5

1. As the weather in the northern hemisphere begins to warm, how do your days and nights change? - The sun comes up earlier ... and thanks to daylight savings time (You bastard politicians ... why can't you pick a time and stick to it?!) it stays light until eight thirty or nine.  That part is nice ... it's so much easier to run errands after work and stay busy if it isn't dark when you leave your office.  Summer is my least favorite season ... but the hours are enjoyable.

2. In what way do your dining habits change as the weather turns warm? - Well, my cooking changes ... doesn't it for everyone?  In the winter months I make chili and pot roast ... grilled cheese and tomato soup.  In the summer months, I make more sandwiches and lighter fare instead of baked casseroles.  I grill out and use my crock pot instead of heating up the kitchen.  Now that we're talking crock pots, I make great Italian beef ... so delicious!  Hmmm ... it is Memorial weekend ... maybe I'll pick up a roast today and make some on Sunday!

3. What’s the best thing unrelated to weather about the warm-weather months? - During the summer months, the sun is already coming up when my alarm goes off.  Getting up with the alarm is never easy.  But getting up when it's still pitch dark outside?  Torture.  Even though my brain recognizes the right time on the clock ... my body still thinks it's the the middle of the night.  I guess that's why the summer months are so odd for me ... I hate the hot weather ... but I absolutely love the sunshine.

4. What are some strategies for dealing with those especially unbearable warm nights? - I am an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in a taco.  I am cold a lot ... and yet I hate being hot. Those summer nights when you're laying in bed feeling sweaty and uncomfortable?  Ugh ... those are the worst.  But that's why there's air conditioning ... and I don't mind using it.  The problem is that I live in a two story home ... and in order to keep the bedroom a suitable temperature for sleeping, the central air has to be turned to setting that makes hanging meat in the living room a viable option. So my strategy mainly involves cranking up the air ... getting a glass of lemonade ... and waiting patiently for fall.

5. What words of encouragement do you have for the you of six months from now? - Dear Future ThirtyWhat, it's late November ... put the turkey and sweet potatoes down and listen to me.   Remember that weekend back in May when you saw the Drive by Truckers?  Wasn't that awesome?  Go kiss Stoney and tell him thank you for giving you that mix CD way back when.   Oh ... and go get a job, you lazy bum!

House has stood through five tornadoes
Droughts and  floods and five tornadoes
 Rather wrastle an alligator
Than to face the Banker’s scorn
Cause he won’t even look me in the eye
He just takes my land and apologize
Pen and paper and a friendly smile
He said the deed is done
The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning
The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning
The sound you hear is my Daddy spinning
Over what the Banker done

Drive By Truckers - Sink Hole

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through Friday 5. I agree about the time change being nice during this season. I work late on Wednesdays and it's nice to still see some daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tara! Agreed! I hate going to work in the dark and then coming home in the dark too. It's depressing as hell! There's always a silver lining ... haha. :)

    ReplyDelete