Monday, June 10, 2013

T-Minus Four Hours and Counting ...


So, my friend, Tinkerbell, flies in today. It will be the first time I've "lived" with anyone since my divorce ... and even though I know she's only staying for a week, I'm feeling a bit trepidatious about the whole thing.

When you live with someone, you make certain ... modifications. They like coffee? You wind up buying a coffee maker. They like a certain type of soap? You make sure you buy that brand of soap. Silly things, really. But, assuming you're compatible, after a period of adjustment you fall into a comfortable pattern.

With a house guest, there is no period of adjustment. One day you're living by yourself ... sleeping when you're tired and eating when you're hungry. The next day you have company and you're panicking because you forgot to scrub down the bathtub.

It's exhausting. This weekend I had the piano tuned, I had a new DVR installed, I changed the furnace filter, vacuumed, did two loads of laundry, wiped down the ceiling fans, hung a new set of mini-blinds, grocery shopped, baked cookies, straightened up the basement, wiped down the microwave, took out the garbage ... I cleaned like Jesus Christ himself was stopping by for tea.

And even after all that ... I realize I forgot certain things. I use strawberry body wash ... so I forgot to put a bar of soap in the tub. I forgot to clean out the fridge. I forgot to buy more bottled water. Ugh ... if I only had another day or two to prepare.

I am tired, people. There are a hundred things I didn't get around to doing. I haven't spackled and painted the foyer wall.  I haven't painted any walls yet for that matter. I haven't cleaned out the 3rd bedroom upstairs. I haven't cleaned out the basement. I haven't steam cleaned the carpet in the back room.  Seriously, my to do list is ridonkulously long. My plan is to tackle most of these when my job goes away in September. Might as well do something while I'm sending out resumes and applying for jobs, right?

In the meantime, I've done just about all I can do for Tink. At this point, to quote my uber-religious friends ... I'm letting go ... and letting God. It's just a shame God can't mow the yard while I'm at work today ...

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel

Carrie Underwood - Jesus Take the Wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment