Wednesday, June 05, 2013

What Makes Me Smile ...


Tonight the neatest thing happened ... again.  I've blogged about this before ... but I'm sharing it again ...

My best friend's husband passed an important exam and they asked us to meet them for dinner to celebrate.  They picked Red Lobster ... which was awesome!  I love Red Lobster so much ... but it just isn't a restaurant I usually go to ... given my aversion to waiting 60 minutes or more for a table.

We went early so there wasn't a wait ... the food was tasty and the company was great.  At one point the guys were talking about sports.  Really, I wish I could tell you what they were saying but it was literally a mish mash of words.  I understood a few?  No pitch?  Wait ... no hit?   This one team wasn't a world series kind of team but they actually were?

I have no idea ... but the point is that sitting there relaxing ... hearing this conversation in the background ... it makes me so happy that no one in the world would understand.  Just listening to them talking about guy stuff ... it's very ... zen.  I don't need or want to participate in the conversation ... I just want to soak it in.

My best friend finds the whole thing boring and just rolls her eyes ... but it's so different to me.  I've never had a boyfriend who is into ... guy stuff.   And so when Stoney talks about football or poker or baseball ... it's just ... it's soothing and it's comforting and it's sexy.

I know ... I know ... I'm weird.   At one point I was smiling at their conversation and Stoney got self conscious ... and my best friend said something like, "She's just not used to it yet."  She's waiting for me to join her in the "women's section" where I will roll my eyes and think the whole thing is stupid.   And who knows?  Even though I don't think so ... maybe I will end up there someday?  But that day wasn't today ..

Black velvet and that little boy's smile
Black velvet with that slow southern style
A new religion that'll bring ya to your knees
Black velvet if you please

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment