Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Each Day We're a Little Farther ...


Contrary to what Tom Cochran would tell you, life isn't a highway.  Life is a train.  It's a train going down the tracks at a steady pace.  When those we love die, it's as if they simply got off at stop ... and every day it feels like we're getting further and further away from that stop ... further and further away from the person that we lost.


The train doesn't go back ... only forward.  And all you can do is hold on tight to the people who you love ... to the people who love you.  Today, Stoney invited J and me to lunch.  It was a great idea ... J had been having a rough day and I think it was a nice diversion for all of us to get together and just hang out for a little while.

I try not to talk about her too much ... not to constantly say, "She would've said this ..." or "She would've done that ..."  Today J asked me something so sad.  He sent me a text message that says, "It's supposed to get better right?" and I said, "Yes ... yes, it will get better." and he sent back, "Ok.  If you say so then it has to happen."

I didn't have the heart to tell him that yes ... yes, it will get better.  Just not quickly ... at least not as quickly as we wish it would.

But tell me, did you sail across the sun?
Did you make it to the Milky Way
To see the lights are faded
And that heaven is overrated?
Tell me, did you fall from a shooting star?
One without a permanent scar?
And did you miss me while you were
Looking for yourself out there?

Train - Drops of Jupiter

No comments:

Post a Comment