Saturday, August 17, 2013

An Embarrassment of Riches ...


Have you ever had one of those days?   When you crawl into bed after the hottest shower you can manage ... and you're exhausted ... and your body is achy and tired... but it's a good tired?  A happy tired?

Stoney's wanted to stain his deck for awhile now ... so this weekend he asked a group of friends to come over and help him.   You couldn't have asked for a nicer day ... it was breezy and cool.   It was a bigger task than I'd expected ... about nine-thirty this morning, six of us started staining ... and we didn't finish until four.

We all worked hard ... one person was on a ladder spraying the outside boards ... two people dedicated themselves to working on the long stairway ... the rest of us busied ourselves staining various parts of the deck, filling the sprayer, and cleaning up the messes.   One of our volunteer's husbands even came by later in the afternoon and he picked up a brush and chipped in.  It was a lot of hard work ... but I think the end result looks amazing.

On top of the crew of volunteers, a very special friend couldn't be there.  So she made some delicious food ... Italian beef and a very good corn casserole and some rich cookie bars.   Plus she stopped by later to see the work we'd done and stayed for a wonderful visit.

I just don't have anything bad to say.   Whatever frustration I have over the HHP situation ... it just doesn't matter.   Not to be all sentimental ... but something special occurred to me this afternoon.  I was laying on my side ... painting these tiny boards that are hard to reach at the bottom ... and I was listening to everyone laughing.  Stoney was holding the ladder for our spray painter ... the girls were working on separate ends of the stairs to meet in the middle ... J was holding the drop cloth up to catch any over spray ... and I smiled when I thought, "Wow ... these are my friends too."

Not just friends ... wonderful friends ... good people ... who gave up their Saturday to spend the day in the sun to help make Stoney's home nicer.  All of them go out of their way to do nice things for the people they care about.  Today was a lot of hard work ... but  we spent the day working together ... and that was great.

On top of everything else today ... it was sweet to see how much everyone loves Stoney.  Which is understandable.  He is a pretty lovable guy.

And I got a peaceful easy feeling,
And I know you won't let me down
'cause I'm already standing on the ground.

Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment