Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wait ... What?


I woke up this morning, yawned, and stretched.  I thought to myself, "Well, I don't feel too bad at all this morning!"  Then I tried to get out of bed.  Wow ... did my legs hurt.  Still I thought, "All that bending and stretching ... that wasn't too bad at all!"  Then I tried to go downstairs and get something to drink.  I have never been more jealous of people who have houses on one level.  Stairs are the work of the devil.  I suspect that thousands of years ago Satan himself was the first one to utter the phrase, "Why don't you guys build up?"

Whatever endorphin rush I had going on yesterday is, happily, still in effect today.  Despite J continuing his uninterrupted streak of asshattery ... I responded simply by not responding.  Life's too short.  When he lamented to me this morning that he didn't know how he would handle being separated from his online girlfriend for so long, I decided it was time for an honest  "come to Jesus" moment.  I wrote a long text that read something like ...
I know you will miss her when she's on her trip ... but you HAVE to get some perspective on this.  You have a BIG event ahead.  You're moving to a new house.  You have GOT to get packed and you have GOT to get to work cleaning your house.  She will be there for you when she gets back.  This gives YOU time to get your life in order.  Spend some time with the KISS Army ... spend some time with me and Stoney ... most importantly ... pack!  You have GOT to downshift.  Real love ... the kind that lasts ... takes time.
He sent me a text back that read, "I know what you're saying is right." 

For a split second I felt pure relief.  Maybe I finally reached him?  Then a second later he texted me another long soliloquy about how he'd never thought he'd feel this way and he has all this paranoid stuff going on his head about her finding someone better than him on her cruise or online and how she's just too cute for someone like him. 

That might've been fine.  Just more of the same.  But the cherry on top of today's shit sundae was him telling me that having to put up with him was my best friend's revenge on me.

Wait ... what?   Her revenge?  For what?  For those years I wasn't with her?  Thanks ... cause I don't have enough guilt for that.  Revenge for not being there for her when you were cheating on her?  Revenge for not telling her to leave your stupid ass when she caught you making fun of her with another woman? 

And just like that ... the circuit breaker flipped and I disconnected.  I stopped texting and started working on sorting and cleaning my second spare bedroom up here.  You may drive into a wall at a hundred miles an hour ... but I'm not offering you gas and I'm not helping you hold the wheel. 

Life's just too short.  I ended my day yesterday tired and peaceful and happy.  And that is how I'm spending today ... despite anyone else.

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
Like resignation to the end, always the end
So when we found that we could not make sense
Well you said that we would still be friends
But I'll admit that I was glad it was over

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

No comments:

Post a Comment