Sunday, August 18, 2013

Friday Five: The Person Who

Okay ... here we go  .. with this post, I'm caught up with all the memes and ready for a new work week to start.  The Fair is over ... no more fighting with the insane traffic every day.  There are training schools almost every day this week but I don't have to attend any of them.  I'm pretty sure there's one going-away luncheon ... but it's at Smokey Bones so I will get to have pretzels with cheese.  I'm calling it now ... this week is going to be amazeballs!

The Friday 5 

This week's Friday 5 is a little confusing ... but here is their explanation.  "In our regular daily existences, we often run into the same people in the same contexts, but don’t know them by name? We often think of them as “The Guy Who Breathes Loudly,” or “Red-Haired Babe With The Porsche.” For each of these questions, please think of how you are referred to by others who see you in these contexts."

1.  At a business establishment you patronize regularly, what might the employees refer to you as, when they speak of you behind your back? - I'm the woman who never buys a lot of groceries.  I swear I'm at the grocery store every other day buying this or that or the other thing.  Milk ... or bread ... or pasta ... or chicken.  It's ridiculous and I keep expecting the checkers ... who know me so well by  now to just ask, "Couldn't you just make a list and come once a week?  I have a reason for shopping that way ... but that's a post for another day.

2.  Similarly, at your places of employment, current and/or past, what do either the patrons or brand-new employees who don’t remember your name yet probably refer to you as? - At my job, I'm "The Computer Person."   I hear snippets of conversation all the time that sound like this:  We only have one computer person.  She's the computer person.  Somebody call the computer person.  Are you the computer person?  Can't you fix it?  You are the computer person after all!

3.  Aliens have come to earth to observe families and take notes. If each member of your family is listed as the one who __________, which are you? (bonus question: what are the others in your family written down as?)     It would only take an alien a short period of time to figure out that I'm the mouthy one.  For the life of me, I just can't seem to keep it shut.  Two of the volunteers this weekend were the sweetest, kindest women you'd ever want to meet ... but they're both very PG.  I tried hard not to curse in front of them.  I told myself to pretend Stoney's parents were there.  Even so, when J pissed me off, I yelled, "Kiss my white ass!" in front of everyone.  I felt awful ... but it was out of my mouth before I could stop it.  I did stop myself from using the word "bang" in front of them ... luckily Stoney stepped in and said it for me.  Let's hear it for tag-team profanity!

4.  You meet someone you had a crush on in high school, someone who didn’t know you felt that way (let’s say you meet him or her in the grocery store, and that the snow is falling Christmas Eve). He or she doesn’t remember your name, but does remember you. How are you cataloged in this old crush’s memory? - Did you just make a Dan Fogelberg call out?!  Well done, Scrivener!  Well done indeed!  I didn't have a secret crush in high school.  I didn't really have a problem pursing boys I liked.  Well, other than that one younger boy.  I really liked him but I thought people would disapprove of a senior going out with a sophomore.  So ... I didn't pursue it ... even when my best friend locked us in a closet at a party to try and make it happen.  Wow ... never mind any of that ... I digress.  I would be remembered as the short redheaded chick who was either on stage singing or in the art room painting.  When I graduated, I had paint under my nails and India ink dyed on my hands ... I was a  poster child for the arts.

5.  If a hobby of yours were to have some kind of club, and if the other club members only knew you by your particular preferences, styles, or behaviors in that hobby, how would they refer to you? - Hmmmm .... hobbies?  I have so many.  I like to play piano ... and crochet ... and read books ... and watch movies and draw and write.  I guess I'd be the one in the book club who never finishes a book.  I have about five books started ... and I haven't finished one in months!  It's frustrating to say the least.

The beer was empty and our
tongues were tired
And running out of things to say
She gave a kiss to me as I got out
And I watched her drive away.
Just for a moment I was
back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make
my way back home
The snow turned into rain

Dan Fogelberg - Same Old Lang Syne

No comments:

Post a Comment