Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Why Stop At Eight?


I am tired of saying goodbye to people.  No, I'm not talking about death ... but I can understand why you'd think that given my recent chain of blog posts. 

No ... I'm talking about the situation at my office.  People are leaving my agency like rats leaving a sinking ship.  Since I will be one of the last rats on board when the ship goes down, I have gone to at least a dozen goodbye luncheons.  We started out with 25-30 people.  We're down to seven.  I am sick of saying goodbye!

I genuinely like my co-workers.  I really do.  In fact, I would consider a couple of them to be really good friends.  But how many times can I pass around a card ... writing the same goodbye message ...
It's been wonderful working with you. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous future!  Good luck!
Ugh!  It's like I'm living in Groundhog's Day and I'm filling out someone's yearbook over ... and over ... and over ... and over ...

I have been to every mid-range restaurant in town.  Last week it was O'Charley's on Wednesday and Fire and Ale on Friday.   Tomorrow it's D'Arcy's.  Next week it's Smokey Bones.

Listen ... I only have so much money.  I'm going to be unemployed soon.  Tomorrow's luncheon is for our two summer interns ... who I have known for eight weeks.  Eight weeks.  I am not going to empty out my savings account for interns whose last name still escapes me.

The other day, one of my less-than-close co-workers came up to me and said, "Ummmmm, sooooo, ummmmm, have you decided where you want your going away luncheon to be?"   I looked at her like she'd grown a third arm.  "Who is going to go to this luncheon?  There we be three of us left on September 20th."  "Yeaaaaahhhhh, but ... I was thinking of where I'd like to go ..."

Ugh ... no more.  I'd much rather spend my entertainment budget eating out with Stoney ... or Mom ... or even J and HHP and her cast of a thousand cats.  Nope ... I'm going to politely bow out from now on.  Except for the one at Smokey Bones ... they have these really good soft pretzel stick thingys with beer cheese ...

These last few weeks of holding on
The days are dull, the nights are long
Guess it's better to say
Goodbye to you
Goodbye to you
Goodbye to you

Scandal - Goodbye To You

No comments:

Post a Comment