Thursday, September 05, 2013

Commere and Gimme a Hug ...


So ... a happy topic came up today.   I ... am a touchy-feely kinda girl.

I like physical contact.  Not with everybody, of course.  There are a few creepy bastards that I'd prefer keep their hands to themselves.  But aside from those guys, I'm just a huggy kind of girl.  My family hugs practically everyone.  The girls and I lean on each other sitting on the couch.  I guess I just don't have that "you're in my personal space" issue.

The first thing Stoney and I ever did alone was go to a Bruce Springsteen concert at Wrigley Field.  We sat with his arm around me ... purely for comfort on his part ... but I think I was the happiest redhead in the Windy City.  I didn't tell him that, of course ... we weren't on a date, after all!  Blissful or not, I had to play it cool ...

But even before we were we ... I liked touching him.  I have a tendency to talk with my hands ... so I'd put my hand on his arm ... or he might put his hand on my shoulder.  By the time we became we, it didn't seem odd to lean against him or hold his hand.

To this day, I love it when we're in his car, because I like to play with his hair.  And depending how we're sitting on the couch, he lets me play with his facial hair.  I've asked him before if I'm bothering him ... after all, I'd hate to think he was sitting there secretly wishing I'd keep my hands to myself ... but he claims he doesn't mind.  Heck, even if we're just sitting on the couch facing each other talking, I like to put my leg across his.  I guess I'm odd ... a casual touch is just comforting ... and he humors me.

Why write a post about this particular idiosyncrasy?  Last night, J and his new love interest went on date number three.   Date number one was the a blind date.  They went to dinner so it was very easy to sit on separate sides of a booth and not touch each other ... although if it were Stoney and me, he'd tell you that I'd find a way.  Date number two was a movie.  She sat with her arms crossed the whole time.  Date number three they went on a ghost walk.  They didn't hold hands ... and she didn't put her arm around his.

I told Stoney that it just seemed odd to me ... that after three dates this woman was making no moves towards any type of physical contact.  Nothing.  He reminded me that some girls are just like that ... they aren't big into touching ... it's just one of those things.  And he's right ... it's true.  I've known girls who weren't prudes or frigid ... they just weren't big into touching.

So ... it's true.  I am a touchy-feely weirdo.  And I could tell you that I will attempt to not be that way in the future ... but the next time I see First Wife?  I'll hug her.  The next time I see Stoney?  I will  have to sit on my hands in order to not touch his arm or rub his knee.  I have issues ... touchy, huggy, tactile issues ...

I see you've got your list out
Say your piece and get out.
Guess I get the gist of it 'cause
It's alright
Oh, well, anyway
Sorry that you feel that way.
The only thing there is to say
Every silver lining's got a touch of grey

The Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment