Tuesday, September 03, 2013

What Happened To My Peace and Quiet?


Growing up, Mom was ... somewhat ... protective of me.  I mean she was a great Mom ... but she gave me room.  She didn't helicopter ... she let me make my own mistakes ... and I assure you I made plenty.  But after my stroke and the ensuing divorce, Mom's "mama grizzly" gene kicked in and she came into her own.

The odd thing is ...she's not just protective of me anymore.  When that gene kicked on ... it was like she began gathering chicks under her wing.  Along with Kim ... whom she was always concerned about ... Stoney became one of her worries.

When he and I first started hanging out ... not even dating, just doing things as friends ... Mom started looking out for him.  When I was invited to go to a wedding in the fall, things still weren't entirely stable in regards to my ex.  She damned near demanded I drive to Shop and Save to meet Stoney instead of having him pick me up at the house.  She was worried my ex would make trouble ... and she didn't want him knowing Stoney's car ... or finding out where he lived.

Mom has a soft spot for Stoney ... he's the first guy I've ever taken to family dinner and she's just tickled by that.  So now ... because of this soft spot ... I'm getting motherly advice for the first time.

First ... it was the "football widow" speech.  Which, to be honest, was pretty adorable.  Then tonight I was treated to the "texting" speech.  She isn't comfortable with how much my friend's husband is texting me ... and she doesn't mind saying so.  I've told her I'm transparent ... that I've handed Stoney my phone ... had him read conversations ... asked him to pick up the phone when a text alert goes off ... had him text J for me when I was cooking.  I'm not doing or saying anything I wouldn't want the world to see.

But she isn't fond of J and she'd prefer I didn't text him at all.  I'm not sure how to fix this ... if it's fixable at all.  J's acting angry that I'm not texting enough ... she's angry that I'm texting at all.   Hopefully the date tomorrow night will go as he plans ... and he'll be so busy bugging the piss out of her ... that he won't be bugging the piss out of me.

We can hope, right?

I can see why you think you belong to me
I never tried to make you think
Or let you see one thing for yourself
But now you're off with someone else and I'm alone
You see I thought that I might keep you for my own

Pure Prairie League - Amie

No comments:

Post a Comment