Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Day Three: The Arrival of Good News ...


Guess what guess what GUESS WHAT?!   Tomorrow at nine a.m., I'll be on my first interview!  What's the back story?

So today was day three ... and once again I was awake long before the alarm.  I got up, made the bed, got dressed, and went downstairs to have breakfast.  Over my bowl of cornflakes, I was reading my e-mails and scrolling through Facebook ... when my new message alert chimed.

The HR representative from one of the companies I applied to yesterday contacted me.  We wrote back and forth a handful of times ... and we've set up a telephone interview for tomorrow morning at nine a.m.   I am so mind boggling happy ... and so unspeakably nervous.

On one hand ... I am so excited to have an interview!  On the other hand ... a telephone interview?  Apparently this is just what they do.  This is the first step ... and if you pass,  they call you in to meet everyone.  I haven't had an interview of any kind in probably twenty years.  I've had promotion interviews ... but those don't count.  They were just in-house reviews with people who were like family.

For what it's worth?  I aced every one.  I applied for three promotions over my 23 year career and I got each one.  My performance reviews for the last two years have been perfect ... I have a glowing reference from my Director.  I should be fine as wine.  But the truth is ... I'm scared.

What if it doesn't work out?  What if they don't even bring me in for a face to face interview?  What if they do but they hate me.  What if they offer me a job but they're paying something so ridiculously low that I'd be better off with unemployment?  I've got a thousand random worries and thoughts bouncing around in my head tonight. 

Who doesn't want to sleep in?  Who doesn't want what basically amounts to a paid vacation?  I've had a lot of people tell me I need to relax and enjoy my time off.  But they don't understand ... if I could get a job, then I get to put all my severance into savings.  If I could get a job, then I wouldn't have to worry about getting sick and not being able to afford to go to the doctor.  If I could get a job, then I wouldn't have to worry about Stoney's family or friends thinking I'm a bum.

Sigh ... tomorrow is big ... everyone keep your fingers crossed!

I feel lucky
I feel lucky, yeah
No Professor Doom gonna stand in my way
Mmmmm, I feel lucky today

Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Feel Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment