Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Scared? No ... Scared Is Back There About a Half-Mile ...


Stoney and I had our first official date in December of last year.  He didn't meet my mom until April or May ... and I didn't meet his parents until July.   I'm not sure if we were slow in that regards?  It didn't seem slow to me ... it seemed just right.

But in any case ... because of the way everything fell, tomorrow is the first holiday I'll spend with his family.  There are no words to describe how nervous I am.  In fact ... I have circled back around from nervous into this state of calm.  You know how when bunnies get scared they'll freeze and their eyes get big?  That's where I'm at ...

I've met his parents and they're super.  They were very friendly and nice to me ... and now that we've had the "You're how much older than him?" conversation, I can't think of anything too uncomfortable that could come up.  But his brother and sister-in-law are coming ... so there's that.  Plus there's the fact that this is my first holiday ... with his folks.   Holy crap do you know how much stress comes with that sentence?  I'll tell you how much ... about a half a box of Imodium.

The good news is that I have plenty of nervous energy to cook and to clean.  The yeast rolls are rising .... the sweet potatoes are cooking ... and my kitchen is clean.   Only 12 hours ... what's the over/under on me getting any sleep tonight?

People are talkin', talkin' 'bout people
I hear them whisper, you won't believe it
They think we're lovers kept under cover
I just ignore it but they keep sayin' we
Laugh just a little too loud
Stand just a little too close
We stare just a little too long
Maybe they're seein'
Somethin' we don't darlin'

Bonnie Raitt -
Something To Talk About

2 comments:

  1. Stephalopolis10:02 PM

    So............ When does he get to meet the kids? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know ... I know ... I was supposed to bring him to the bonfire. In fact, you specifically TOLD me on Facebook to invite him ... and I promise I *did* ... but I ended up not being able to go. Anyhow ... I keep meaning to get you guys together but it just hasn't happened yet. You guys could come in sometime and we could have pizza and play Cards Against Humanity? Nothing like meeting someone by playing the world's filthiest game ... hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete