Thursday, December 12, 2013

I Wasn't Naughty!


Years ago ... about 15 BD (before divorce) ... there used to be an on-going argument in my house.  My simple request?  Do not buy anything for yourself in November or December.

We had an insane amount of birthdays in November ... which, of course, leads up to Christmas.  So buying something for yourself ... while normal and understandable the other ten months out of the year ... was a frustrating, inconsiderate thing to do.

Why bring it up now?  I went to Walmart today at lunch ... looking for a couple odd gifts and, in general, just wasting time.  I was back in the electronics area and I saw a new Blu-Ray that had just been released and I almost peed my pants.  I grabbed it and put it in the cart and was about half way to the front of the store when it hit me ... I was doing the exact same thing I used to hate.

No ... I doubt anyone's going to buy me this movie ... I didn't ask for it.  Hell, I didn't know it existed or, trust me, I would've.  But nevertheless ... you don't buy things for yourself thirteen days before Christmas.

So I turned around, walked to electronics, and put the movie back.  It's a matter of principal.  And, on the bright side, Mom usually gives me money ... so I know what I'm buying myself after Christmas!

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!!

Dean Martin - Let It Snow

No comments:

Post a Comment