Sunday, January 19, 2014

I May Have To Invest In Steps ...


There's no such thing as a "sure thing."   No matter how much we want to believe that something will definitely happen, there's a chance, however minuscule, that the pendulum might swing in the other direction.

Stoney and I bought a bed together a couple weeks ago.  The one he slept on in the master bedroom was fine.  There was nothing wrong with it ... other than it really wasn't big enough for two people.  We could both sleep in it ... but there wasn't much room and, as I've written before, he swore I always pushed against him until he wound up on the edge.  Whether that's accurate or not, the bottom line is that, although we've spent a lot of time together this last year, I didn't spend the night very often because neither one of us got a good night's sleep.

So ... fast forward.  We went and picked out a nice king-sized bed ... firm enough for him ... plush enough for me.  He went and bought all new bedding and new pillows.  And we waited for the delivery day so we could both a) be together and b) still sleep comfortably.

Now ... I was excited, no lie.  But there was a part of me that was genuinely worried.  What if the bed we picked out wasn't good enough?  What if we slept on it, woke up the next morning, and he said, "Well, it's alright but ... ummmm ... it's still not awesome sleeping with you."

What if I snored?  Which I do but ...what if I snored too much?  What if I did hog the bed?  What if, even though we did have a king sized bed, I still crowded him?  These were all things that weighed on my mind ... until finally, the big day arrived.

Friday, the new bed was delivered.  He left work to meet the delivery men and got everything prepared.  I'd bought new pajamas just for the occasion ... and we'd planned on spending the evening lounging in flannel-wrapped luxury.  Fate, as usual, laughed ... and we were invited to a last-minute  dinner with our friends.  The bed, however spectacular, would have to wait.  

When the time for the unveiling finally arrived, I have to admit ... it took my breath away.  The bed is very high ... high enough I have to kind of hop into it.  It's SO comfortable!   And in the end?  I had nothing to worry about.  It's big enough that we can cuddle and watch TV or a movie ... but when we doze off, we each have our own space.  He can reach over and stroke my hair ... I can reach over and scratch his back ... but neither one is crowded.

It was a long, happy weekend.  I wish it was longer ... but I don't have a three-day weekend like he does.   I'm happy.  I guess good things really do come to those who wait ...

Wake you up
In the middle of the night to say
I will never walk away again
I'm never gonna leave this bed

Maroon 5 - Never Gonna Leave This Bed

No comments:

Post a Comment