Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Will The Indignity Never End?


So today I had a doctor's appointment ... the first appointment since my new insurance kicked in.  Sitting in the waiting room, I felt like a misbehaving child who had to visit the Principal's office.

Last fall in my six-month med check, they wanted me to have a follow up bone-density scan and they wanted me to schedule my first mammogram.  They also called in a butt load of blood work.  But none of those things got done because my office closed and my insurance went up in smoke.  I should've tried to squeeze everything in before my Blue Cross/Blue Shield card went tits up ... but I was low on money at the time and when I prioritized things, having my boobs squished flat didn't make the cut.

So I sat there this afternoon, waiting to get chewed out.  Waiting for a moment that, amazingly enough, didn't come.  Yes, I have to call tomorrow to schedule the bone scan and mammogram.  Yes, I have to fast at some point so I can have all that blood drawn ... but the nurses were so friendly and understanding.  I have this sense of peace tonight.  I'm back on track.  I'm taking care of myself.

Being an adult sucks.  No one wants to have twenty vials of blood drawn from them ... or to participate in some kind of weird boob torture.  But it's inevitable.  This year my eyes have gotten noticeably worse ... worse in that "forty something" kind of way.  So I guess new glasses are next on the list.  When will it end ... sigh.

What a drag it is getting old
"Kids are different today,"
I hear ev'ry mother say
Mother needs something today
To calm her down
And though she's not really ill
There's a little yellow pill

Rolling Stones - Mother's Little Helper

No comments:

Post a Comment