Thursday, January 02, 2014

One Day Down ... One To Go ...


Today was an exercise in futility.  Not because I couldn't handle the work ... the day actually went better than I anticipated.  But it was bad ... very, very bad ... and tomorrow will be exponentially worse.

Almost everyone who deals with my part of the job ... co-workers and captains and backups ... they were all given today and tomorrow off.  Then, today, we found out that backups of backups ... and various on-call members all over the country were all given tomorrow off.

I swear to God ... it's like being on the bridge of the Titanic.  It's freezing cold ... you can see your breath ... you can smell the ice ... but nobody is doing anything to stop the catastrophe that is imminent.

They had a meeting today to discuss the "situation" that is going to present itself tomorrow.  Their answer?  Have me come in 30 minutes early ... oh, and hey ... the team leader is gonna bring in doughnuts.  Oh, yeah ... that'll fix it.

On the bright side, since I'm going in 30 minutes early, I'll be able to leave 30 minutes early.  Tomorrow night is a last-minute, impromptu family night.  Everyone else drinks at these things ... I'm thinking maybe I should start ...

But you tell me
Over and over and over again,
My friend
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction.

Barry McGuire -
Eve of Destruction

No comments:

Post a Comment