Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blue and Yellow Purple Pills ...

Okay, so this post will more than likely result, at best, in me being growled at (grrrr) ... or, at worst, me receiving a stern talking-to.  But ... if I'm not honest here ... in what is essentially an online diary ... then why bother coming here at all.  We might as well shut it down and call 'er a day.

So ... I've known for quite awhile that my blood pressure medicine wasn't working.  In my defense, I told my doctors as much.  Last August, my cardiologist even prescribed a second medication that was supposed to work in tandem with the first to keep my blood pressure reasonable.  I went for a med check with my family doctor last month and it was a little high then.   What I'm saying ... is that people, besides me, knew.

But I suppose "a little" high is different than "Holy fuck!  Sit down while I get the doctor!" high.

I saw my nephrologist today and my blood pressure was 210/120.   They took it sitting down ... they took it standing up.  They took it on the other arm ... which, sadly, was higher than the first.   They took it so many times, in fact, that my arms are bruised.  Which, in the big scheme of things, is probably the least of my worries.

She asked a dozen questions.  No, I hadn't been drinking coffee.  No, I wasn't taking any herbal  supplements.  No, I wasn't drinking.  Had I felt bad lately?

Well now ... that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? 

Had I felt bad?  Yes.  How bad?  Pretty bad.  Define bad?  Well ... I was achy ... my head hurt ... I was peeing ... a lot ... often ... I didn't seem to be healing as quickly as I should ... I was so damned tired.   I just hurt ... all over.  Everything hurt.

In fact, the last few days, not only had my head hurt ... but I'd had moments of dizziness.  No no ... not the vertigo that came before the stroke.  Just a tired, queasy feeling.  At times my chest felt tight.  I knew something was wrong ... in fact, I almost went to the ER Monday after work.  But I knew I had a doctor's appointment today ... it was just a matter of hanging on until then.

The doctor said several times that a blood pressure reading of 210/120 will make a person feel bad.  She had me sit several times and "relax" to see if that would make the reading go down.  I finally told her ... nicely ... that making me late going back to work would not, in any way, improve my blood pressure.  She laughed ... and agreed.

I have news meds ... which I now have to take twice a day.  I have to take my readings twice a day.  And next Friday, I have to meet with her nurse.   If my blood pressure is still high, they'll have to adjust the dosage upward.  That's a lot of "haves" up there ...

My new meds helped tonight.  I feel a little better already.   I guess the Stones were right all along ... what a drag it is getting old ...

I take a couple uppers
I down a couple downers
But nothing compares
To these blue and yellow purple pills
I been to mushroom mountain
Once or twice but who's countin'
But nothing compares
To these blue and yellow purple pills

D-12 - Purple Pills

No comments:

Post a Comment